In this video Staten Island Chiropractor Dr. Victor Dolan reveals 5 Ways to Keep Your Dog Healthy
- Dogs are affectionate creatures who only want is to be near their best friend (you). So spend time with your dog. Talk to him, play with him, and take him to places and activities.
- Dogs love to be stimulated both physically and mentally, and love toys such as balls and frisbees.
- Teach your dog tricks such as shaking hands, playing dead, speaking and fetching.
- Many dog owners under-exercise their dogs.
- Destructive behavior may be the result of an energy surplus.
- The average dog needs at least 1 to 2 hours of exercise every day.
- Daily exercise helps prevent obesity, and provides mental stimulation, toned muscles, improved circulation and strong bones.
- Choose a high-quality dog food.
- Obesity in dogs is a very common problem which can often be reversed with proper diet and exercise.
- Trim dogs live an average of 15 percent (or two years) longer than their chubby counterparts.
- Avoid people food such as chocolate, grapes, avocados and Macadamia nuts which can be fatal.
- Remove from your dog's reach harmful materials such as cleaning supplies, medications, pesticides and antifreeze, in addition to poisonous house plants and outdoor shrubs such as lilies, tulips, oleanders and rhododendrons.
- You can brush your dog's teeth, use oral rinses and feed him dental treats.
- Daily brushing promotes good dental hygiene and avoids tartar, gum disease, tooth loss and bad breath.
- Short-haired dogs benefit from a monthly nail trim, bath and brushing, while long-haired dogs should be brushed daily.
- Use topical products like flea combs, sprays, dips, shampoos, powders and collars to prevent fleas and ticks.
- Monthly doses of heartworm medication prevent heartworm disease which is a fatal condition spread by mosquitoes.
5) Health Care
- Annual check-ups screen your dog for disease and can prevent future illness.
- Quality veterinary care is the foundation for your dog's overall health.
- Your dog's total physical, mental and emotional well being can benefit from dog chiropractic care. Your dog's nervous system can be blocked when the nerves are pinched. Blockages cause extreme pain and can lead to overall poor health for your dog. Dog chiropractic care can help repair your dog's nervous system to allow muscles and joints to move properly.
|Dr. Dolan and Friends|
Many have asked, "Dr. Dolan, where have you been?"
Well the short answer is Superstorm Sandy.
As many of my readers may know, the storm hit Staten Island hard in certain areas, and I was in one of the worst. We lived only a couple of blocks from the shore, and we took a direct hit in my neighborhood. I lost my entire house and all of my worldly possessions. The house is a gutted shell because it stood under 10 feet of water for several days. All of my family's clothing, keepsakes, electronics, everything are gone forever.
So for the last few months we have been working hard to come back and resurrect our lives, finding a place to live, attaining the basic necessities of life and rebuilding my chiropractic practice.
So that's where I've been if you haven't heard from me in a while. It's been a very rough road, but we're coming back.
I'd like to say thank you to all my true friends who are the only reasons we did make it back. Thank you so much to each and every one of you who have given so much and keep on giving. You know who you are.
Perhaps one of the most important factors in my family's lives during these trying times has been our beloved four-footed friends. We managed to save them from the storm surge, and they remain by our side giving so much joy and comfort every minute of every day.
This video is a little bit of a tribute to those special loving friends whom we love so very dearly.
Thank you to all! Dr. Dolan is coming back!